A few short weekends ago, God moved mountains and provided for me to attend the 2015 Christian Coach Institute “Inspire” Conference, just for CCI graduates. I found myself surrounded by coaches who quickly became friends and deep encouragers. That’s what occurs when you allow yourself to connect with others who share the same passion for coaching. Even today I struggle for the right words to describe this amazing weekend. It was my time to refuel, reconnect with my passion, be who God created me to be, share, learn, be encouraged and pour into others. I shared many laughs, a few tears, held many hands and embraced the hugs of coaches on fire for God. It was truly a Spirit-led weekend that I will never forget.
I returned home with my cup overflowing. My mind was filled with new connections, ideas to implement and endless Evernote files. Words from Laurie Beth Jones and Kim Garst ran echoing through my visionary mindset. I was ready to take action. I was ready and eager to move.
And then life happened. I had family driving to do, calls to return, back-to-school supplies to purchase, laundry, website updating, bills, meetings and even diapers to change. I had to keep-up while adding to my list with new ideas.
Can you relate?
Have you ever returned from a conference fired-up to take the next best step, only to be thrown incredibly off track by the reality of overflowing paperwork, large obstacles while struggling just catching-up from your brief absence? Those around you lack the fire you now posses. Even worse, you may even have those that dare to blow your fire out.
How do you make the most from your conference experience? Here are a few steps I’ve implemented to help you process and actually act on the material you bring home.
- Go Over Your Notes ASAP! Don’t wait until you return to work to start processing the information that excites you. Tag the highlights and even make notes of action items. Journal about what you believe your next steps look like, feel like and why action is needed.
- Allow Time To Process. This, by far, is the most difficult step for me. I want to run ahead, start sharing my fire and usually burn a few bridges in the process. Attending a conference can leave you both physically and emotionally drained. Allow time to catch-up with your spouse, your kids, your coworkers and even share a few thoughts with them if you feel inclined. Allow your body and your emotions to hit solid ground, refreshed, refocused and re-energized before you start taking action.
- Make Your Goals! After you have allowed yourself time to process, return to your notes and create a list of action items you want to see implemented. Give each item a due date, breakdown into smaller steps and assign a time you can set aside to work on your action plan.
- Keep It Visible! Mark progress on your calendar. Make sure you have blocked out time to work on the steps you have chosen to take. Hang your goals somewhere you see everyday reminding yourself why these goals are so important.
- Accountability Is Key. As a life coach, I’ve seen the difference that true accountability can make in the overall success of a motivated client. It is too easy to simply return home, attempt to take action only to give-up after hitting a roadblock. Coaching is a great way to find this trusted person to keep you forging ahead, but friends who share your passion are great possibilities too. Don’t be an island, invite friends in to encourage you on your journey.
- Don’t Forget To Reward Yourself! It is way too easy to focus on the end goal while missing your continual progress. This is an incredible journey that you need to track, reward your achievements and enjoy where you have come. Every week make sure you find time to update your progress in a way that builds you up to continue the journey you were determined to accomplish.
Survivors are great note-takers. Thrivers are great action-takers (and future note-givers).
Dare to do more than just survive, stand-out and thrive!
Let’s chat! Do you have a goal you need to reach? Looking for accountability? Where can I help and encourage you today?
Leave me a comment below, tweet me or connect with me on Periscope! If you have subscribed to my blog and read this message in your email, simply hit reply to start messaging with me right away! I love hearing from you!